Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 818R #001 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice!
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice! And what a sweet track!
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    I participated in a Skidpad Challenge sponsored by Grassroots Motorsports and Traqmate. The event was at the 2015 The Mitty at Road Atlanta.

If you think that an 818 has questionable handling, think again. I still need a complete 4 wheel alignment after lots of changes, but still kicked everyone's butt by a half a G. With the lone exception of an 8 year old in a Quarter Midget. He was a ringer...

I beat 2 Exocets, one a turbo Miata, and the other an LS7, along with 20-30 other vehicles ranging from an NSX to a dune buggy specifically prepared for the skidpad(?)
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread
    PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, PADI TecRec Gas Blender Instructor, Operations Manager - DNS Diving, Grand Cayman

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congrats! I knew you were going to do well. Awesome 1.54G, was that based on time around the circle?
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Traqmate GPS data acquisition...
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread
    PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, PADI TecRec Gas Blender Instructor, Operations Manager - DNS Diving, Grand Cayman

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Did you win the Traqmate?
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope. Didn't even get a trophy or a gift certificate. They may have missed getting one for the modified class. Marjorie did give me a t shirt though. They are nice peeps...
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mason walked off with the championship trophy, a GoPro AND a Traqmate! He is a really nice kid.
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    More importantly, did you experience any oil pressure loss or puking of oil during that constant turning? I forget your setup in that regard.
    Nice going.

Post Thanks / Like
    Killer B, worked fine. Boiled a little but need to burp the coolant system again.
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    What I'm asking is that you be specific about what has been done to the motor to control oil surge and vent the motor. Info on your engine in the thread is hard for me to find. You have a drive by wire throttle-body so I'm assuming it is an older motor. Wayne built the motor, as I understand it. Has a KB oil pan. What else?
    The reason I'm so curious is I just returned from Watkins Glen where a buddy was having a nightmare of a time keeping oil in his engine. Has KB oil pan.
    We hooked up two Moroso catch cans and that wasn't enough for a session. Finally hooked it up to drain it back into the motor and vented the catch can.
    How did you manage to not have any issues with those constant high G's?

Post Thanks / Like
    Lets see:

Stock ej255
    tomei extreme pipe and up pipe
    coolant delete and perrin oil cooler kit
    MS3Pro
    Killer B kit pan tray and pickup.
    throttle is wired.

I have zero oiling issues. I did determine that it seems the tstat keeps oil in the cooler and lines and I overfilled the engine when I installed the Killer B. Once I figured that out everything was fine. I do need to get a real gauge on the motor but the switch is wired to the ecu and has not shut off.
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a blowby issue somewhere?
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bstuke View Post
    Do you have a blowby issue somewhere?
    I don't with my engine. I run the head breather hoses to a JEGS can and let it drain back into the engine. The other vents T together and tie into the top center case vent.
    21PJCfyta5L.jpg
    My friend is the one with the car that may have serious blowby. It is well known that oil can fill a boxer engine head and case pressure (blowby) push it out through the head vents. I'm just surprised that you are not having issues at high G's and I still don't understand how your engine is vented.
    According to Chris of Killer B, they have a new product, an oil control valve for racecars, specifically boxer engine cars, able sustain +1.5Gs consistently. It has been discussed at length on this NASIOC thread. The next step would be dry sump.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to admit I am totally clueless to this issue! I would have to refer to Wayne. Can you post any pictures of the hoses and what vents they connect to and I will replicate the photos with my setup?
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some shots of mine. I am going to assume stock.

P5020040.JPGP5020042.JPGP5020043.JPGP5020044.JPGP5020045.JPGP5020046.JPG
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks bone stock to me but, I am not an early (GD) Subie guy. What I am not seeing in your photos is the CAI and turbo inlet hose area.
    TurboInlet.jpg
    Is the turbo inlet hose like this? If all this plumbing is stock then I have to question why oil is not getting into the intake.
    When we raise our boost into the 16+ PSI range, where premium, 93 octane fuel is mandatory, then you run the risk of oil getting into the intake during hard cornering and diluting the octane. Blowby increases as boost goes up. This octane dilution then leads to detonation and stock piston ring-lands break rather easily. It happened to me with my rather stock '08 STi. I knew it was an issue so I added a catch-can. My Moroso catch can quickly filled up and then started dumping it into the inlet. Sudden smoke, from burning oil, is the first indicator.
    How you don't have this occurring under high G's is a mystery to me. The KB stuff can help a lot, but it can only do so much during sustained G's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lucky?

Pretty sure all of that is stock. Running VP C16 120 Octane..
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I've warned you. Can't tell you how many hundreds, nay thousands of people who have busted ring lands from injesting oil into the intake. Besides mine, I witnessed one go ka-boom from it. Intermittent oil in the intake may not cause enough detonation to break pistons because of your high octane. Watch for oil consumption and smoke.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    Well, I've warned you. Can't tell you how many hundreds, nay thousands of people who have busted ring lands from injesting oil into the intake. Besides mine, I witnessed one go ka-boom from it. Intermittent oil in the intake may not cause enough detonation to break pistons because of your high octane. Watch for oil consumption and smoke.
    How does oil get in the intake?
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Through the PCV system. Can do either an AOS or catch can. AOS is a little more elaborate but maintenance free. For your purposes, a catch can would probably be the best option. I'm not 100% certain that the catch cans do as good a job as a top of the line (heated) AOS at removing all the oil vapor though. I can show you my AOS if you like.

Hey Bob, can you please post a pic showing how your 295 rear wheels and tires fit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, I have put off a Drysump for now and installed a Crawford AOS and the Killer Bee Oil Control Valve. Haven't run it yet but after research others have had good results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Hey Bob, can you please post a pic showing how your 295 rear wheels and tires fit?
    It's in the trailer...

So I have the offset trailing arm. You have to mount it for clearance on the inside of both mount points, then shim the outer part. I got away with about an 1/8 inch spacer so it had good room to rotate if needed.

The wheel I used is an Enkei Kojin 18X9.5 +45 5x100. I have ARP studs, and had to use 2 10mm spacers to get it back out off the trailing arm, but still under the wheel well. The tire is actually a 285/30ZR18 Hoosier A6.
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob. I'll paste in the Tire & Wheel thread as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have the Perrin aos set up for race with no pcv. It is considered the newer setup in the community, but I have been doing this for a long time. The Crawford Aos is the other proven Aos method with no pcv. I auto crossed and tracked my Wrx with this method. I can send you a diagram of my setup.
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, there are a few photos of installed AOS systems on a few different built threads, here is a photo of mine.AOS and OCV 2.JPGAOS and OCV.JPG
    These shots are before I had the water lines run.
    As Metalmaker has pointed out this system eliminates the PCV valve.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 12-21-2015 at 04:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    In case anyone is interested. No I am not buying an NP01! We are simply working towards heading out to the islands.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...R-001-For-Sale
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    awe, just when I was hoping we could meet up with our 818's at an event next season
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamra View Post
    awe, just when I was hoping we could meet up with our 818's at an event next season
    Come to Dixie! I should still have it then.
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck on your Sale Bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    Good luck on your Sale Bill.
    Bill? who is Bill? Thanks Mitch. If you ever tear away from that Motorsports Park, come see us in Grand Cayman. Bob
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill? who is Bill? Thanks Mitch. If you ever tear away from that Motorsports Park, come see us in Grand Cayman. Bob
    I think he ment Bill of Sale as in it'll sell fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    WIll do.

Post Thanks / Like
    In case anyone is interested. No I am not buying an NP01! We are simply working towards heading out to the islands.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...R-001-For-Sale
    I spent time with an NP01 a the 25hr Thunderhill. no thanks, not for that price, and some serious design issues with the transaxles. Good luck with the sale, I'm sure you won't have any problems selling and enjoy GC.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345