Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Honolulu 818S Hana (work/build) Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where are you building it? I was just out there (work sent me for a week to work on our system at The Queens hospital, and the system wasn't working so trip got extended, and extended, out to 3 weeks total - yeah, I'm a committed worker like that). I see you are in a high rise, across from the commercial Marina area, right? So no build space there I'm guessing.

Don't give us the address or anything that would be a security risk, but what kind of space are you using?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppenheimer View Post
    Where are you building it? I was just out there (work sent me for a week to work on our system at The Queens hospital, and the system wasn't working so trip got extended, and extended, out to 3 weeks total - yeah, I'm a committed worker like that). I see you are in a high rise, across from the commercial Marina area, right? So no build space there I'm guessing.

Don't give us the address or anything that would be a security risk, but what kind of space are you using?
    You must be the golden boy of your company, usually only the best of the best get the work trips out here!

We live across the street from Ala Moana Park. The marina you see in the pic is behind the Ilikai, down the street a few blocks. This is the hotel/marina that you see in the original Hawaii 50 TV series. In the background you can see Diamond Head Crater, kind of a famous landmark here.

I rented a 400 sq ft space a couple blocks away. not much, will be tight, but should get the job done. Best part is I can walk to work and to my "shop"!

Thanks for the comments.

image.jpg

Day 1 pic the day the engine was dropped off
    "In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria."

818 (Chassis #34) Delivered 9/25/2013, First start 3/2/2014, First drive 4/5/2014, Registered 8/28/2015, First Dyno 3/18/2016, First SCCA event 4/3/2016, First car show HIN Honolulu 4/23/2016

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloha818 View Post
    We live across the street from Ala Moana Park. The marina you see in the pic is behind the Ilikai, down the street a few blocks. This is the hotel/marina that you see in the original Hawaii 50 TV series. In the background you can see Diamond Head Crater, kind of a famous landmark here.

I rented a 400 sq ft space a couple blocks away. not much, will be tight, but should get the job done. Best part is I can walk to work and to my "shop"!

Thanks for the comments.

image.jpg

Day 1 pic the day the engine was dropped off
    My two car garage is just over 420 sf and I'm building a GTM in it. So you should be fine. Your body is a set of panels that should not consume much of your footage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloha818 View Post
    That Marina is also in the opening of Gilligans Island, when the SS Minnow is leaving Honolulu, right? But off to the right from that pic, off to unseen area, there is another, commercial marina, right? We did some SCUBA while there, and the boat went out a different marina than the one in your pic.

When I stayed I was at the Marriott at Waikiki. My expense report for the trip, lets just say it was more than the cost of 818 kit, less than the estimated cost to complete an 818. The SCUBA and other weekend excursions came out of my own pocket, so not even part of that total.