Yesterday I pretty much laid up the fiberglass for the rear license place pocket, I still need one more layer on the backside to finish it off better
image.jpg

Today I started with some body filler
First coat
image.jpg

Roughed in pretty good after 3 coats
image.jpg

Started block sanding the side sail/quarter.

As I have said earlier, I'm by far not an expert, and don't claim that every step I do is absolutely correct. So double check with others/supplier what would work best for your build. For reference, this is my fifth paint and body project.

My supplier, based on the primer I'm purchased, recommends sanding the gelcoat to 320 grit. I'm a big believer in using sanding blocks. I know with experience and the right equipment air tools are faster, and in the right hands, maybe better. So since I don't have the experience, or the air tools, I'm sanding by hand. I have a 6" and a 12" block and purchased rolls of 100, 180 and 320 grits.

For those that have not sanded before it seems weird to sand rounded surfaces with a flat block. But no matter how rounded you can find a way to keep part of the block flat to the body. This is what really gets rid of waves and shows low spots in the body. After primer you will go to smaller more flexible sanding pads that take the prep even closer.
image.jpg

So far the quarter panel was pretty "flat" through the most part. Was able to get "flat" with 320 without filler or going through the gelcoat. There is a good sized dip just behind the door, low on the panel. This pic shows that even after one pass with filler it still needs more
image.jpg

The joint to the bumper, the top to the trunk/engine covers and the wheel well opening, needs work. I stared adding filler to the quarter side of the bumper joint. You can see in this pic that to get "flat" takes some filler for 1/8" - 1/4" away from the joint.
image.jpg

I am doing one side of the joint at a time, protecting the other side with tape, that I carefully pull off just before the filler hardens. I need to keep the joint clear of filler to keep from cracking through later.

On a side note, I will be priming and painting with the side sails, front/rear bumpers, and front fenders on the car. Obviously the door skins, hood and trunk/engine cover off the car.