Found and purchased my donor car: a 2003 Sedona Red WRX wagon with 192000 miles on the clock. I had to drive 4 hours (each way) to PA to see and buy the car, but I think I got it for a good price (seller was motivated after 2 months of trying to sell car).

• The good: nearly full maintenance records for the car, the engine, transmission and interior are in pretty good shape considering the miles. Has a non-catted downpipe installed, and that is pretty much the only modification
  • The bad: body is a bit rough with hail damage, assorted dents and rust the alignment seems suspect and I think the struts are gone (not that I care about any of this). The driver’s seat has quite a bit of give -10 years of guys bigger than I am worth.

The engine may be down 15 to 20% peak power and can’t say a 200K mile turbo thrills me. The engine bay has the typical NE salt corrosion (but not as bad as my wife’s old 145K Forrester). The clutch actually seems decent, didn’t feel any slip.

Need to get the car disassembled and the engine and transmission on a stand. Then I can perform a compression test, inspection of the clutch, and cleaning/remanufacture of the parts. Overall though I’m thrilled about the car, it’s in much better shape than I expected. I can probably put off an engine/transmission rebuild for a year or two and gather parts needed for a 2.1 stroker and turbo upgrade.
big_red_donor.JPG