Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oregon 818S build maybe the first?

Post Thanks / Like

Oregon 818S build maybe the first?

Since I heard from Stewarts this morning that my 818S is now In Phoenix and should be here next weekend I think it’s a fine time to join the build threads and contribute. I’m doing a father and son build with my dad. He’s 70, I’m 43. We have each owned, restored and raced Lotus Europa’s although at different times. More recently he owned and raced an Acura NSX and a while back I spent a year building a Monster Miata (See YouTube link) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCRLMTwDfXE I also have some build picture in the album associated with my profile.

For our 818S build we started with a 2002 WRX sedan as our donor with around 87K miles with driver’s side front corner damage. After we dissembled the car, clean and painted our parts and performed a timing set replacement on the motor (timing belt, tensioner, idler and water pump). We removed our intake manifold, replaced all the cracked vacuum lines we plan to retain. During the disassembly I re-built the main engine harness and removed all four TGV connecters as well as the power steering pressure connecter. We then performed a TGV delete ourselves and mounted the manifold back on with phenolic spacers to help with heat soak. As our 2002 had a catalytic converter in the uppipe we removed it and fabricated our own. We cut off the existing flanges then bored them out on the lathe and welded in a mandrel bent piece of 1.75” ID exhaust pipe and had it coated. We also replaced the font wheel bearings and pressed in new seals.

Currently we are working on the electrical harnesses and have finished removing the ABS and air bag systems from the headlight harness. We have finished deleting unneeded wires and connectors from the primary fuel pump harness and just started on the rear wiring harness and trunk cord.

I would like to give a big thanks for all the great information provided so far. It’s made the start to our build so much easier already.

Brett
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are three diagrams I put together after I disassembled the intake manifold and turbo inlet to help me remember down the road what connected to where. Excuse my terminology if its not perfect on the diagrams. I also included a picture of the first clump removed from the headlight harness containing the ABS module connector and some of the air bag leads. I think we have four or five times this much removed from the harnesses now and still have a way to go!
    Last edited by waruaki; 11-15-2013 at 03:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile It Begins

Only one day late and just three parts unaccounted for out of 10 boxes, very happy!
    Last edited by waruaki; 11-23-2013 at 11:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice. I'm partial to blue myself.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man! I'm going with a blue theme as well. There will some differences, but our color schemes will be more similar than different.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going Blue on my Chassis, it's at Powder coaters right now. This colorIMG00111-20101213-0913.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Now THAT's nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Shiney!.....
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    That powder coated chassis is nothing but cool!

Post Thanks / Like
    pretty awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    That cerulean blue is quite eye attracting! I like that!

Cerulean blue.... cerulean blue... where did I hear that before... oh!!!!!! God... The X-Files... got it, Pusher, 17th episode of 3rd season. Call me stupid.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    My garage is painted cerulean blue.

All of the solenoid purge stuff can be deleted. It hooks up to the charcoal canister and solenoids which aren't reused.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed it's a choice. I have deleted the dump valve and the OEM charcoal canister assembly at the rear of the car and will replace it with a mid 90s Miata canister (much smaller and less connections) so the gas tank can vent out. Allowing the Miata canister to connect to the purge solenoid shouldn't affect performance. For those builders that don't want to vent out gas fumes and want to use some type of (charcoal) vapor canister the Miata unit would be another option as they can be had inexpensively. I purchased the one pictured for $15.00
    Last edited by waruaki; 11-16-2013 at 11:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you mind disclosing where you got that? I like it and I need something.

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased it off eBay but you could find the canister at most import wrecking yards. I know there is a decent Pick A Part in Eugene. Get the mounting bracket off the car too if you can. Mazda used that style canister on the 90-97 Miata's

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a thread on the forum of people building their own... I may do that, just use an aluminum canister and fill it with activated charcoal
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure I could build something that nice for $15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    I'm going Blue on my Chassis, it's at Powder coaters right now. This colorIMG00111-20101213-0913.jpg
    Nice!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by waruaki View Post
    Since I heard from Stewarts this morning that my 818S is now In Phoenix and should be here next weekend I think it’s a fine time to join the build threads and contribute. I’m doing a father and son build with my dad. He’s 70, I’m 43. We have each owned, restored and raced Lotus Europa’s although at different times. More recently he owned and raced an Acura NSX and a while back I spent a year building a Monster Miata (See YouTube link) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCRLMTwDfXE I also have some build picture in the album associated with my profile.

For our 818S build we started with a 2002 WRX sedan as our donor with around 87K miles with driver’s side front corner damage. After we dissembled the car, clean and painted our parts and performed a timing set replacement on the motor (timing belt, tensioner, idler and water pump). We removed our intake manifold, replaced all the cracked vacuum lines we plan to retain. During the disassembly I re-built the main engine harness and removed all four TGV connecters as well as the power steering pressure connecter. We then performed a TGV delete ourselves and mounted the manifold back on with phenolic spacers to help with heat soak. As our 2002 had a catalytic converter in the uppipe we removed it and fabricated our own. We cut off the existing flanges then bored them out on the lathe and welded in a mandrel bent piece of 1.75” ID exhaust pipe and had it coated. We also replaced the font wheel bearings and pressed in new seals.

Currently we are working on the electrical harnesses and have finished removing the ABS and air bag systems from the headlight harness. We have finished deleting unneeded wires and connectors from the primary fuel pump harness and just started on the rear wiring harness and trunk cord.

I would like to give a big thanks for all the great information provided so far. It’s made the start to our build so much easier already.

Brett
    Very nice man

Post Thanks / Like
    Just received the call from the Stewart's driver, looking like a Friday delivery for our 818S!

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! Mine is scheduled for pick up tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    Awesome! Mine is scheduled for pick up tomorrow.
    What? I thought you had it already! But it's true I don't see your build thread. I have opened mine 1 year ahead of time, so open yours! You won't have time tomorrow anyway.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't want to hijack his thread, so I'll be brief. If you have any questions, please PM me.

Bottom line is I'm not ready to start a build thread. Nothing secretive here, I just don't have the time to put into it. New job is getting in the way (of that and lost of other things). I haven't even had time to finish stripping my donor (no biggie, I made space so I can have both in the garage). I have some time off planned in December, so maybe I'll be able to make some headway then.

Post Thanks / Like

Downpipe Elbow

In an effort (like most builders) we are trying to pick up horse power where ever we can and the exhaust system is one of the easiest ways on the WRX. Unfortunately I couldn’t find many options to get away from the OEM WRX flanged downpipe (see picture) other than buy a new or used aftermarket downpipe that had a bellmouth already. The problem is you end up cutting a pretty good chuck of the exhaust pipe away just to get the bellmouth and unless you get a deal on a used cast downpipe their expensive $250.00 plus. My donor had the stock exhaust so I wasn’t lucky like some who have had COBB or Invidia exhaust systems on the car already so my solution was to buy just the downpipe elbow.
    Kamak Dynamics AKA Kinugawa turbo sells the elbow pictured below. Its cast stainless steel so no welds to crack and is very smooth on the inside.
    ID is 2.835 and OD is 3.050
    Last edited by waruaki; 11-23-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with the same one, but for my JDM twin scroll VF37.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its a nice piece, I was impressed with the quality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Our kit arrived this afternoon see post #3. Now the fun part begins.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hope the quality that part is better than their turbos. How is the fitment? all the bolts line up without fighting you?
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    Hope the quality that part is better than their turbos. How is the fitment? all the bolts line up without fighting you?
    My FFR adapter fights me. I need to drill it out if I were going to use it.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bil1024 View Post
    Congrats!!!!
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    The holes on the flange line up with the bolts, no problems there. The only issue I had was they sent the wrong elbow the first time but after a phone call they were quick to send out the correct part.

Post Thanks / Like
    My daughter goes to school in Salem, We live in Kirkland WA, I'm building a 818R for her track car, getting ready for delivery. Should be fun, going to try a non donor build.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    My daughter goes to school in Salem, We live in Kirkland WA, I'm building a 818R for her track car, getting ready for delivery. Should be fun, going to try a non donor build.
    Willamette University? Hopefully she can participate in your build.
    Last edited by waruaki; 11-25-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Clecos and more clecos

Making progress drilling holes and securing with clecos. The firewall is ready for disassembly and will scuff sand with 220 grit, wipe down with presol and paint black.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hello, I am building a '33 hotrod just a few miles away in Wilsonville. If you are entertaining visitors I would love to see your car in progress. Since you are experienced I would love to pick your brain. I am a total newbie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    My FFR adapter fights me. I need to drill it out if I were going to use it.
    I had to drill mine out too. For me it is a short term Item. I want to baseline the output using it and go for bellmouth later, document HP gain
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rcotner View Post
    Hello, I am building a '33 hotrod just a few miles away in Wilsonville. If you are entertaining visitors I would love to see your car in progress. Since you are experienced I would love to pick your brain. I am a total newbie.
    I don't know about experience, maybe in machining and fabrication. This is the first factory five kit. PM me your contact information and your welcome to come down some weekend.
    Last edited by waruaki; 11-25-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Front Suspension

Made good progress today, most of the front firewall panels are in and riveted. Still waiting for the paint to dry on a couple as it's been cold here, should be able to get them in Friday. Front suspension is assembled and torqued down. Waiting on the back ordered spring hats, spring seats and threaded sleeves for the Koni's though. Fitted the rack and pinion but was shipped the wrong size sleeves for the passenger side .320" instead of the .865" the manual calls for. I spoke with Factory Five and they were quick to see the fault and shipped out the correct spacers the same day!

A big shout out to Wayne for taking a few minutes on the phone today to answer a build question when I was tired and had spent to many hours under the florescent lights.
    Thanks Wayne!
    Last edited by waruaki; 11-28-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so you convinced me, I'm gonna powder coat/spray paint all my parts as well! Looks too damn good!
    Frank

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast