Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Outwest 818S Build Chassis #100!!

Post Thanks / Like

Outwest 818S Build Chassis #100!!

Well figured I'd start my own build thread as my build is now starting to ramp up. I order the car The week after I got back from the Sema Show in 2012, boy that was a long wait!! The car was built on December 21st and is chassis #100, and was delivered January 16th. The initial progress has been slow as my shops have been busy, so I usually work on it at least a few nights a week. A little history on myself, I have been into cars all my life and fell in love with the 818 when it was revealed and I knew I had to have one. I have previously had a Stage 2 tuned 2003 WRX so I am very familiar with the powertrains. I own and operate two automotive shops one mechanical repair, and a body and restoration shop, and at both locations we do hot rods and such. I love sports cars, and have always loved Factory Five's way of building cars. The plan for the car is to be a fair weather driver and the occasional track day car, so it will be built according with some of the nice creature comforts you want in a road car. I want to get the car done quickly but Im not in a huge rush as I have plenty of other toy cars to drive in the mean time.

Here is the day I received my car.

Here it is at home with all the panel stripped

Thanks for looking
    -Donny

Post Thanks / Like
    Picked up a 2006 WRX donor car with only 69K monday morning from the Reno IAA auction and we got it almost all the way stripped already

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you have a great start. Have fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in the same "class" so to speak, also a 12/21 build date. #106 I think. It's fun to see the variety of backgrounds here. I'm in a bigger hurry, as my "fun" vehicle is sold to finance this project. I just hope I don't run out of summer before she's ready, lol. Welcome Donny!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I suppose that makes me in the same class as well, also a 12/21 build date, kit #102. Like Goldwing I am also in a hurry to make the H.B. cruize in April 26th and simply to sneak into this racing season.
    That's pretty neat you scored kit #100 congrats!
    So you bought your donor after your kit arrived? Why did you go that route?

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the wackiness, Donny. You've got a nice start and enough experience to get your 818 on the road quickly. If you want to sell the HVAC fan assembly from your 06 WRX donor, please send me a PM. I've got the assembly with the heater core and evaporator, but looking for the fan unit.
    Pete

Also, where in the West are you? You can add that to your info so it will show at each post.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I waited to find a donor as I wanted to get something close to when the car was getting here, as I didn't want a pile of stuff sitting around to get lost or kicked around, and I buy from the auctions regularly so I just waited until I found a 06 and one that was close enough to pick up. Plus this car has alot of aftermarket parts I can use or sell to make back even more of my investment on the donor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on the delivery of a milestone kit!
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Made for more progress the last couple of weeks. Mocked up my radiator and fan assembly, and starting fabricating some new upper mounts for the radiator as I don't like the factory steel ones. The mishimoto radiator and fan assembly is a really nice assembly, looks so much nicer then all the factory plastic. Also started getting all the suspension parts prepped to be powder coated ( we do all our own in-house at my shop).

Post Thanks / Like

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used the same rad. Make sure you shim it high enough to clear the rack bellows. Looking good so far!

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed some of the suspension done this weekend, everything thing has been going together pretty trouble free so far