Folks,

There is a wobble in the driver side of the rear axle that has me a bit concerned. From the video links that Eddie posted in other threads, I know the axle ends will flex under cornering loads but mine is different. It appears to be a constant wobble as if a bearing were not seated or the axle shaft is bent.

Facts:
1. I purchased the rear (8.8, c-clip, 31 spline, torsen, 3:08 gear) a number of years ago but I am still building the car so it is not licensed and has only been driven around my subdivision for a total of about 10 miles.
2. I noticed the wobble on the driver side when I stopped driving in the subdivision (illegal since not licensed) and started idling in the driveway with the rear on jack stands and trans in gear. This has put approximately another 15 to 20 miles on it. (In other words, the rear has about 30 miles on it)
3. Getting as close as I can safely, I don’t hear any unusual noises from the rear over the sound of the exhaust.
4. Except for a very minor amount of run-out, there does not appear to be any wobble in the passenger side.
5. I swapped the rotors in case the driver side rotor was warped, with no change to the wobble.
6. The wobble causes the caliper, caliper mount and brake hose to flex back and forth in sync with the wobble.

Questions:
1. Is the wobble bad enough that it must be fixed or is it really not an issue? (I plan to run the car on the dragstrip a few times and along with highway cruising, I can’t see how the rear will last very long with that much wobble – my biggest concern is safety)
2. As indicated above, I have not yet driven it on the highway – will the wobble be noticeable at highway speeds?
3. Any ideas on what might be causing the wobble?
4. If this were YOUR rear axle, what would you do or would you be concerned about it?

If I got the links right, there are 3 videos below of the wobble. I apologize in advance that I did not use a tripod for the camera but I think you can see the issue. Again, the rotors were swapped before any of the vids were taken and one vid is w/o the tire installed, the other 2 are with the tire installed.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Todd

P.S. I don’t seem to have access to edit my profile on this forum so, in case it matters; the rest of the drivetrain is 460 BB and C4 trans.