Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Small Projects can be Fun too!

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Small Projects can be Fun too!

I decided from the beginning, I would have a quick release steering device on the roadster. I have had the two hubs for a long time. Of course, the one went on the FFR wheel with a slightly modified FFR adaptor to make that work. But the other one has been in the draw forever it seems. I finally found a small wheel I liked and decided to finish the project. I want to autoX sometime this year, I hope. I got the steering wheel first to make sure I would measure the adaptor correctly. Then went to my favorite metal supply house and got aluminum for three projects. the adaptor is a billet 4 in x 3/4 in. The funny thing was the adaptor already machined for the application I had was $43 bucks (best price I could find). So that's one reason for doing it DIY but also it's kinda fun to use the drill press. I'm finding that this process is much more adaptable than searching forever for just the right adaptor hub. So after 3 holes with the step bit and 6 more with the 1/2 in bit, the disc was lighter and just about ready for paint. I put the hub of the wheel on the disc and eyeballed it to get the hole locations (almost the same size) and then made a paper template for the quick release hub and transferred that to the disc after finding the center of the disc. Then I changed the chrome fasteners to the allen head steel type for looks and assembled.

This is for a special use as I mentioned. Don't like it any more than the FFR wooden wheel but it is OK for a change. It it 320 mm so it's outside diameter is a little smaller than the inside FFR wheel diameter. I think it will make a difference in an autoX situation. Along with the Hiedt valve which has helped to dampen the PS for the street but when opened will make the steering as quick as it was before which was a little much for the street in my estimation. Now I just have to find some orange cones to kill!

Thanks,

WEK.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046