Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  50

Thread: Octobersknight's 818 Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    After all that, I finally removed the timing belt and cam spockets. I tried the "old timing belt as a clamp" trick, but it was before I watched the video and didn't have much luck with it because I had one vice grip and didn't lock it in the right place. I broke down and bought the 2 Company 23 tools that hold the AVCS intake and non-AVCS exhaust sprockets. Those things work great for a one-person job, but I did manage to chip my RHS exhaust sprocket when I tried to pry it off the camshaft. It stuck on a little due to some surface rust, and a little wiggling got it loose. Add another thing to the list of replacement parts for the engine.

IMG_20171216_163023.jpg

Also removed the rear timing covers, and one of them had a captured nut that just spun in the plastic. Another item for the shopping list! Then off go the valve covers to check out the cams.
    IMG_20171216_163036.jpg

Looks good, except for the wrench marks on the shafts. At least they're in non-critical areas, and with solid camshafts I wasn't worried about out-of-round damage or anything like that. I tipped the engine up so I could remove the cams and get to the head bolts. You can really see how oily the engine is on the underside.
    P1080183.jpg

Some more shots of the cams being systematically removed. I like how all the parts have marks to show proper orientation. It makes reassembly that much more foolproof.
    IMG_20171217_181309.jpg

Whoever had been in here before was VERY generous with the grey RTV, and I had a heck of a time getting off the front bearing/oil seal land parts (on both sides). With the bearings off, I removed the cams (actually they came off with the front bearings because the RTV stuck the oil seals on the bearing body), valve spring buckets, and then finally got to the head bolts - wait ARP head studs! Hooray!
    P1080186.jpg

Finally I removed the head. SUCCESS!! A first look at the RHS pistons. Plenty of carbon buildup, but great condition for the mileage, and no scoring on the cylinder walls. I'm liking this.
    P1080187.jpg

Repeat other side: Note how the RTV plugged the oil galleys leading to the oil seals. Not good! I made sure to work to avoid this when reassembling.
    P1080189.jpg P1080186.jpg
    Last edited by octobersknight; 07-27-2018 at 06:55 PM.