Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  50

Thread: Octobersknight's 818 Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Heads reinstalled

I reinstalled the painted brackets on the engine and put the cleaned-up alternator back on as well. I think it looks pretty sharp! I just hope the red paint stays well - it's already flaked off in a couple spots, I guess the self-etching primer doesn't do quite enough on aluminum. I'll have to find another product to prep aluminum well if this doesn't stay on very long.
    IMG_20180123_200042.jpg

I also got my re-decked/cleaned heads (with a valve guide replacement and new seals/lash adjustment) back from Rockville Ring & Bearing a bit ago. I think they look fantastic now!
    IMG_20180124_132040 (2).jpg IMG_20180124_132100.jpg

Installed new Fel-Pro head gaskets from the set I bought, which has every gasket you could need when rebuilding an engine. Even some you don't. these got great reviews and the brand has a ton of quality history, so I hope they work out right.
    IMG_20180128_142631.jpg

Reinstalled the head, and made sure to use the proper procedure for the ARP head studs. I even bought a HUGE 10 oz jar of assembly lube, and promptly used probably 1/2 oz total ...
    P1080255.jpg

I put black (oil resistant) Permatex gasket maker on front camshaft bracket, and was sure to only use sparing amount to avoid plugging the oil seal oil galleys. I even pulled it off once to check and reapplied. Also, be gentle when torquing these camshaft brackets in place, and the steel botls will easily strip the small-diameter, softer aluminum. I hope I didn't strip any of mine - especially at the front of the front bracket near the oil seal. I then installed the camshaft oil seals (again part of the Fel-Pro pack) using a little oil on the inner rim of the seal, a large socket and gentle mallet tapping - you need to be careful not to roll the lip.
    P1080256.jpg P1080257.jpg P1080258.jpg

Then it was apply black Permatex where it says to in the manual on top of the large camshaft bracket, and reinstall the valve cover. Note that I don't use those copper/rubber washers anymore, as they weren't used on the car initially. Again, be careful when tightening to avoid stripping the female threads!
    P1080259.jpg P1080260.jpg
    Last edited by octobersknight; 08-30-2018 at 08:15 PM.