Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  83
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: JForand - Atlanta Build

Post Thanks / Like
    As you suggest panel support is an element to my caveat. I have a Mercedes SSK replica with a "coffin" four panel hood in aluminum. The two top panels are joined by a piano hinge and wrap across the radiator shell and cowl, then down the sides. The side panels are louvered flat sheet. Dzus fasteners at the corners and mid-panel. In 18K miles the Dzus attachments on the side panels were all wallowed-out. I had to TIG patch the holes and replace the Dzus with Well-nuts and 1/4-20 screws. The Well-nuts provide a clamp load and rubber isolation to control (some of) the NVH.
    BTW the hood panels are isolated from the cowl and radiator by leather strap segments, and further secured with a buckled leather strap. 1929 period correct. Not for you.
    jim

Mercedes-Benz-SSK-engine-right-side-900x600.jpg

2. Likes jforand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well guys, I am going to put a back seat in my R model, or rather put the R in the back seat for a while!. I have decided to accept a new position that is going to take me from Atlanta GA to Austin TX. I move out there next week. I like to imagine that I am just like you guys with tons of crap everywhere (cars, tools, stuff, stuff, more stuff, etc.).....maybe that is just my problem, not sure. As such, a move is going to be VERY difficult and Atlanta has basements whereas TX does not. So, this is go far out from the city to get a shop or garage in addition to the house (far commute to down town), sell all the stuff, or try to leave it behind for later. Right now I have decided to punt and just get a small apartment for the first year. This lets the wife and kids stay planted in Atlanta while I put me head down and focus for a while. Hopefully, I will also be able to find the right spot and get everything moved by that year's end. Kind of an eat the elephant one bite at a time.

Hoping to find a few 818 friends in TX to live vicariously through!

Ugh, I have been waiting for like 8 months for the new engine and when it finally IS ready I won't be able to work on it!!!!

4. Likes NISMO_RB25, Sgt.Gator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with your new job. I moved 9 times in my career and had to wait to retire to finally get my shop (which you've seen). I personally would like you to finish the car so we can get the shared track day we have often talked about. On all my relocations, I always lead the family by about 6 months. Tough on the family, but really lets you focus on the new job.

6. Likes jforand, fletch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    I personally would like you to finish the car so we can get the shared track day we have often talked about.
    We would have had one (singular) if you could have kept your wheels attached! I pointed out singular as I could not keep my piston attached for the second day . It was kind of like entering 5 818s in the 24 Hrs of Lemans and then watching the attrition take its toll. Sadly, we needed far less than 24 track hours…..

Thanks for the comments, they are appreciated.

8. Likes fletch, Rob T liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So much to say about all the stuff that I have been trying to do to the car on my trips back home from Texas to Atlanta. I think rather than try to share all the details, I'll do this for now. It has been two years and nine months since I lost the engine at VIR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_xYjRfO-v8&t=2s

10. Likes jbs72697, Rob T, blomb11, mikeb75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to see you back out there! I hope you are having fun.

12. Likes mikeb75 liked this post
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011