Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  96

Thread: The Bolton Build - 818C

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Adding a trunk

I thought being 3 pieces I could put the trunk in after the roof was on....nope.

Not a huge deal to take the roof off to do it. Pretty sure FFR made this for the topless 818 and didn't update it for the 818C. Or maybe I just have an old trunk kit. It works fine with the 818C, just needs a little extra work.

The pieces fit fine but there is no support other than along the back.

1.jpg

I was looking at what to weld or bolt to give it support and then came up with what I think is pretty easy. There are mounting pads that aren't used (for the trunk pins or something on the non C version). I bought a piece of aluminum angle, and found a some large square aluminum tube. I bolted the tube pieces to the trunk pin mounting pads, riveted the angle piece to that, and that lines up nicely with the front of the trunk piece and raises it up just the right amount.

2.jpg

I may put a couple of screws to hold the front in place. The side pieces don't hit the body exactly, and there are those cutouts at the front corners of the trunk. I'll seal those up when I put the roof and hatch back on and see what else needs to be sealed.

With the hatch piece in place, you can see how it sits with the trunk.

3.jpg

I'll make a dividing wall to seal the front of the trunk up to the hatch glass; only has to be about 3" or so. And to hide the trunk contents from the outside of the car, I could black out the glass for the rear few inches. Overall, I'm happy with how it came out.

Now I'm working on the power windows. More of a challenge there than the trunk, but I have something in mind that may work. Stay tuned.

Rick
    Last edited by FFRWRX; 06-26-2021 at 07:20 PM.

2. Likes DSR-3 liked this post