Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  60
Likes Likes:  208

Thread: Camera's 818C

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using Noico 80mil sound deadening mat + Noico Red 315 mil insulation for the cabin of the car. It's been easy to work with and sticking really well. I used some behind the fuel tank before I forgot and tried to install the tank. I didn't realize the Boyd tank came with no fuel fittings and there was a learning curve when shopping. The firewall is only a few inches above the top of the fuel tank and the fuel hose is stiff, so I wanted 90deg fittings for easier routing. I attached a pic of my order from Summit Racing to work with the latest Boyd fuel tank + FFR fuel lines. I'll confirm once I know it all works.

For the pump outlet, I ordered a male -6 AN ORB fitting that adapts to a male -6 AN fitting. Then a 90deg fitting with a female -6 AN to a 5/16 barb for the fuel hose. The ORB fittings are also called a straight cut o-ring fitting or o-ring boss fitting, but they're different than a -6 AN fitting. And even though it has a "-6" for it's size, a lot of sites talk in standard units like 9/16-18". It was confusing.

For the fuel return, I got a male 3/8NPT that adapts to a male -6 AN fitting. Then the same 90deg fitting as above with a female -6 AN to 5/16 barb for the return hose. The return hose is 1/4" but it should stretch over the 5/16 barb.

I also had a hard time finding a 70mm fuel filter bracket for the 02-04 WRX fuel filter. I should have just ordered one from Subaru but I'm trying a different one I found on Summit. I've decided to use my leftover 1mm closed cell foam under and behind my fuel tank for some padding as you can see in my pic.

IMG_0491.jpg Fuel Fittings Order.jpg

Here's the Noico sound mat laid down under the seating area. I still have to add the insulation on top of this. I didn't do the foot wells yet because they oil can really badly and I want to fix that before I insulate. I've ordered a 1/8"x12"x36" sheet of aluminum that I'm going to cut in half and use as a heel plate for both foot wells. The 12"x18" panel will fit without any extra trimming and hopefully stop the panel from oil canning. I'll RTV and rivet it in place and check before I insulate. I think I can get away with only reinforcing the back half of each foot well since that's the only place you stand to get in the car. Cheaper and easier than buying bigger panels to cover the whole foot well. Or burning through your powdercoat by torching/quenching the floors. Or cutting the floors out altogether and replacing them with thicker metal. I almost bought sheets of plastic but wanted to make sure my sound deadening would stick well. And even though steel is stiffer and cheaper, aluminum is 1/3 the weight and doesn't need to be painted for corrosion resistance. We'll see if my plan works out or if my (supposed to be) easy fix snowballs into more metal purchases haha.

I plan to cover the front half of the foot well with sound mat, so there isn't a 1/8" lip where the aluminum stops. Then cover that aluminum and sound mat with another layer of sound mat. And finally insulation. That way I have a smooth floor and avoid any annoying lip that could catch my heel when driving.

IMG_0513.jpg

I finally got my IRS brackets!!! 6 months after ordering my car. I painted them a few days ago and started installing the rear suspension last night. I'm going to clear so many parts off of my bench that have been waiting for the brakes/suspension/axles to go on! I also got my caliper decals and really like how they turned out. I tried to think of something that was close to the same amount of letters as "Subaru" which was originally painted on there. For me that was the only way to get proportionally sized letters for these calipers. Not tiny text you can't read, and not 3 big letters that only fill half of the flat spot on the calipers.

IMG_0499_landscape.jpg IMG_0514.jpg
    Last edited by mcamera; 01-26-2021 at 04:50 PM.