FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  146

Thread: Meyer 818 build in Tampa Bay Area

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beginning of October 2020 weekly update.

Tried a few more methods with those pesky spindle knuckle pinch bolts. Got an awesome set of bolt extractor sockets and managed to separate the bolt head from the threads! Didn’t realize I was that strong...LOL Also trying Flickr please let me know if photos come through.

As much as I wanted to reuse and restore the donor suspension....I’m ordering new knuckles, hubs and bearings. We want to keep this car in the family for years to come and the rust is too much to deal with and not worth my time.

Liam was able to get the rear suspension and differential out of the car on Friday.

And now the engine...we are about 90% convinced to go ahead and remove the heads, have them machined and replace the head gaskets while we are at this point. There’s evidence they are starting to leak and that’s a known issue with the EJ253 SOHC engines. Thoughts? We found a recommended machine shop nearby from a mechanic I trust.

And last question for today...what’s the purpose of drilling the brake pedal up 1/2”? Wouldn’t that move the fulcrum further away from force and require more punching power in the leg to activate the manual brakes?
    Last edited by Scott Meyer; 10-04-2020 at 09:44 AM.
    818 "S"pyder delivered 11/27/20, using 2007 Impreza 2.5l NA donor. Work mostly being done by my son Liam...body work and paint being done by dad (that's me)
    MK3.1 #6583RD, built from 2008-2019, sold 11/2011

2. Likes AZPete liked this post