Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turbo's MK4 build adventure

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome back. I have a walbro in tank pump. You’ll likely need a high volume pump with the bigger motor. Ask Mike Forte who can set you up with everything you need from the pump to hanger to flex lines and fittings

2. Thanks msbrown6 thanked for this post
    Likes msbrown6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trying to get the engine moved to the car today - but when trying to slide the driveshaft on, it only advances a few centimeters - but then hits a hard stop. Tried nudging it with the "persuader" but no luck. I don't see any obstructions. What gives? Any ideas? Thanks all!
    Matt in Idaho - Building an MK4 and taking my time. Build school grad 2021. MK IV complete kit, 427 from Mike Forte - thanks Mike!, hydraulic clutch, 31 spline 2015 IRS 8.375" driveshaft, cutouts done, power steering, IRS complete kit, 2018 IRS 3.55 center section and spindles, Wilwood front and rear brake sets. Build thread

"There are no strangers here, only friends you haven't met yet” - William Yeats

Post Thanks / Like
    The manufacturers sometimes put a rubber donut on the output shaft. This puts it inside the housing past the tail shaft seal.
    Slide a small screwdriver up the one of the spline grooves and see if it bottoms out. If so, you probably have the donut on the shaft.
    It requires you pulling it out, without damaging the seal. It helps if the output shaft has some light oil on it.
    If you can cut the donut it helps.
    Small needle nose pliers are one of the tools I used.
    Use your imagination on what will hook or hold the rubber as you pull it out.
    If you do not have the donut on the shaft, put some gear lube on the spline and/or inside the yoke spline.
    They do not like to mate dry.
    At worst your spline could be wrong. Not something you hear often.
    good luck,
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

5. Thanks msbrown6 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    The manufacturers sometimes put a rubber donut on the output shaft. This puts it inside the housing past the tail shaft seal.
    Slide a small screwdriver up the one of the spline grooves and see if it bottoms out. If so, you probably have the donut on the shaft.
    It requires you pulling it out, without damaging the seal. It helps if the output shaft has some light oil on it.
    If you can cut the donut it helps.
    Small needle nose pliers are one of the tools I used.
    Use your imagination on what will hook or hold the rubber as you pull it out.
    If you do not have the donut on the shaft, put some gear lube on the spline and/or inside the yoke spline.
    They do not like to mate dry.
    At worst your spline could be wrong. Not something you hear often.
    good luck,
    Thanks Railroad - but no rubber donut. Still can't get the driveshaft slid onto the shaft. I don't see any obstruction - but it won't advance more than about a couple of inches - seems to hit a hard stop. Everything else looks good. On the driveshaft, there is a space where a single spline is missing - wondering if this needs to line up with something? Grease didn't really change the situation. Thanks all for any help you can provide! Here are some pics too.

Transmission: TCET18084 FORD TKX 2.87 /.81 - new from Mike Forte
    Driveshaft: Stock new from Factory 31 SPLINE 2015 IRS 8.375” drive shaft

IMG_9922 Large.jpegIMG_9924 Large.jpegIMG_9925 Large.jpegIMG_9926 Large.jpeg
    Matt in Idaho - Building an MK4 and taking my time. Build school grad 2021. MK IV complete kit, 427 from Mike Forte - thanks Mike!, hydraulic clutch, 31 spline 2015 IRS 8.375" driveshaft, cutouts done, power steering, IRS complete kit, 2018 IRS 3.55 center section and spindles, Wilwood front and rear brake sets. Build thread

"There are no strangers here, only friends you haven't met yet” - William Yeats

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12