Progress Update

I sourced an abused ej255 out of a 2009 wrx off of Facebook market place back in December for $300. I broke it down and it was pretty messed up inside. For sure a bunch of metal went through it and really messed up the cams and cam journals.
assembled block.jpg
Disassembled Block.jpg

I took it to a local machine shop that was recommended by the Subaru community and over all I was extremely impressed by the shop owners knowledge and willingness to actually walk me through all the steps. Long story short after inspecting the block and heads he determined that the crank and heads were usable, but not suggested. the case halves them selves were within spec. I sourced another set of B25 heads off of FB market place. The exterior of the heads was very dirty, but once opened up the cams and cam journals were "Cherry" quoting Eric the owner of the machine shop. (I sent him pictures before I purchased the heads and he gave me the go ahead) The block ended up needing to have the bore increased to 100mm so .5mm over stock and the heads just needed to be cleaned and valve job.

A few months went by and finally my block and B25 heads were refreshed and ready to be assembled. The case halves are still a bit dirty on the inside so I am going to try and get out as much of the detritus out before assembling the short block.
Case Halves Top.jpg
Case Halves.jpg
I do not have any photos of the heads at the moment, but i will add some when I am at home again. Over the past weekend I started weighing the pistons, rods, piston rings, and wrist pins to start the balancing process. I went with Manley turbo tuff pistons, Manley H beam rods, and a new OEM nitrated crank shaft. All the pistons were very close together and I only needed to shave 0.4grams off of one. The rods were all very close in weight except for one that was 2 grams heavier than the others. That one took some creative and careful sanding/grinding to get it to the proper weight.
Yesterday I got the rods all wrapped up and torqued down on the crankshaft.
Crank + Rods.jpg

I hope to get the case halves all cleaned up and short block assembled this weekend. fingers crossed....

BONUS: My wife surprised me with a turbo because awhile back she brought home a second dog and I jokingly said "you get a new dog I get a new Turbo". She is the freaking best.
Blouche Dom 1.5 XTR 10cm with stock inlet size and ceramic coated black.
Dom 1.5 XTR.jpg