FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Going to a 6 speed

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I will start reviewing data log after every session.

Reviewing the video of my driving the next day is always informative to see areas I could improve. Why wait until the next day? I'm going to start reviewing after every session.

I have a bright peripheral vision warning light that will illuminate if oil pressure drops below 10 psi even for a spit second. But the light will flash for just a split second, so not much help while driving if it dips in a turn because I won't be concentrating on it in a turn or really ever on track. I think I just figured out a way to make the light stay on for X seconds after it triggers even for a split second with a programable timer I just found on Amazon. And flash. So even after oil pressure recovers, the light will still be on and flashing for X seconds in which case I will see it. (Amazon: Mini timer time delay relay)

Turns out I spun a main rod bearing and somehow, bent the crank shaft. The build sheet I had for the motor was vague, so I've never been sure what was in it. Turns out the previous builder, Speedy Roo Motorsports in Auora CO, skimped out in a few areas. Also, compression ratios were exactly at 10% variance between cylinders. And with a hybrid 2.0/2.5, you need to lower the compression ratio which Speedy Roo failed to do and my tuner had to "tune around it". At least now I'll know exactly what I've got in the motor which will be parts appropriate for how I'm using it. Going with ACL bearings, Wiseco pistons, STI crank, GSC guides and valves, 11mm oil pump and few other upgrade bits. Chamber matching the heads for proper hybrid compression ratio. Between the 6 speed and now this motor build, my retirement plans just got pushed back a bit. The good news, in addition to knowing I'll have a proper motor, the long block should be done tomorrow. Still have to wait on many parts including getting the turbo back from a rebuild which might be the biggest hang up. Shouldn't be a problem making Aug 6 Laguna Seca.
    Last edited by Dave 53; 06-22-2023 at 03:31 PM.

2. Thanks Rob T thanked for this post