Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Using an Explorer 5.0 and Explorer Transmission

Post Thanks / Like

Using an Explorer 5.0 and Explorer Transmission

Any problems using and Explorer 5.0 and Explorer transmission in the Hot Rod Truck?
    Have access to a complete pull out with wiring and ECU.
    Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's a good combination, but I wouldn't use the factory ECU/Harness. The factory system has a PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) tied to the ignition switch and key that will be a nightmare to integrate. Go with an aftermarket ECU and transmission controller, like a Holley Terminator X, etc. Of you could look into the Ron Francis Telorvek or similar system. The other challenge with the Explorer 5.0 is the COP ignition system that requires either EDIS or different smart coils (logic level).

I'm using an Explorer 5.0 but I'm using a different EFI driven my a MicroSquirt ECU. Also I'm using an AOD instead of the AODE/4R70W, as the AODE/4R70W requires electronic control.

I've got a ton of information for this combo.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    What year? If you are using an automatic transmission, make sure the gearing is what you want. I don't know if it's the same between an SUV and a Mustang.