Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Member from Potomac, MD (near DC)

Post Thanks / Like

New Member from Potomac, MD (near DC)

I placed an order for a 289 FIA on May 1, completion date is June 22 (talk about short lead time) and Stewart Transport says I’ll see it here around early/mid July. I’m closing in on retirement, real soon, and will have this as my project so I keep busy and don’t drive my wife crazy. Over a decade ago I did a scratch build “book” Locost 7 (Lotus 7) clone where I welded the frame following Ron Champion’s book correcting for errors in his plans, designed the suspension, fuel, electronics, etc., put a motorcycle engine in it, put on slicks and ran it at the track. Was a great learning experience and a lot of fun, but I’m done with the track and will build this only for street and likely a daily driver. I’m selling the 7 to make room for this, so if you know anyone interested please let me know.

My plan is to build it simple, uncomplicated and most importantly light weight, or as light as I can get it. Haven’t bought the engine yet, but likely a Ford 302. The Locost weighed ~1,000 lbs and I really liked that it was light weight. Maybe I can get this to come in at around twice that weight? We shall see. Anyway, nice to meet you all and I look forward to reading through all the various builds, recommendations and lessons learned to avoid unnecessary pitfalls…..or at least some of them.

Thanks for reading.

Best,

Fred Morser

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Fred, your build sounds great. Now the wait begins for delivery. I'm south of you in Stafford, Va. I have my DMV inspection at my house this coming Mon. then should be driving soon thereafter. Mine is a Mk4.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations

I’m a little farther south than JR, in Hampton Roads but not too far.

Regarding your engine, I have a local engine builder who could certainly help with an engine if you don’t want to go the traditional Blueprint, etc route. Let me know if interested in info!

Good luck!
    Mk II Roadster, Carburated 347

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks jrcuz and mejhaha. I'm looking forward to getting started. In the mean time I'm cleaning up and prepping the garage. Good luck jrcuz on the DMV inspection.......fingers crossed, and mejhaha, I'll give your offer on the engine builder some thought. My current plan is to buy a basic carbureted 302 and drive it around for a while. Soon after I am considering doing my own build of a 289 HiPO. I have never built an engine and think it would be a great learning experience. My only hesitation is ending up with an engine that needs fancy gas. I want to be able to run it on pump gas.

Anyway, that's quite a ways off.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by FRM; 05-04-2024 at 08:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I know about garage space. I hope you have a good amount available. I have a single car garage only 11' wide. I had to sell my '72 Corvette that I had for 36 years and my Harley just to empty the garage.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw your post stating that you passed inspection jrcuz. Major league congratulations. Just in time for some great summer weather.

7. Thanks jrcuz thanked for this post