Thread: Wedel456's Build Thread - Gen3 Coupe - North Carolina

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wedel456's Build Thread - Gen3 Coupe - North Carolina

Reserved for Table of Contents:

Post Thanks / Like

Preface:

I'm diving headfirst into the world of car building with a Coupe – to start, at least! This journey has been a long time coming, sparked by my teenage days when my sister's boyfriend gifted me a '67 Mustang (too many years ago now to mention). That car, humble as it was (a straight 6 200 CID 3 speed that could not get out of its own way), ignited a love for cars that's been simmering beneath the surface ever since. My dad has since given me his 1971 Chevy C10 short bed with a 350.

Life's been a whirlwind since then—work (I am a technology executive and past Mayor/City Council Member), kids, and personally building my last house took precedence. But a couple of years back, my family and I made the move from California to North Carolina, and now, with a bit more time on my hands, I couldn't resist the temptation of the Spring sale to finally pull the trigger on my Coupe.

Scheduled for kit completion on June 15th, I've got Stewart Transport lined up to oversee the delivery. In the meantime, I've been devouring every Coupe build thread and YouTube video I can find. Shoutout to the legends on this forum like @edwardb and @P100DHG, and the Cobra Daytona Build on YouTube for the invaluable inspiration and guidance!

I'm hoping to share this experience with my old man, too – fingers crossed for him lending a hand every now and then, passing on his wisdom and getting his hands dirty alongside me.

Post Thanks / Like

The Build:

Complete Coupe Kit
    Powder Coating Gen 3 Coupe Chassis
    Body Cut Outs
    Vinyl Roadser Seats (will be selling as I am still selecting my seat options now that Corbeau Evolution X do not appear to fit any more)
    IRS
    Center Section and Spindles
    Carpet Kit – Still determining what sections will be utilized as I plan on wrapping some areas in Vinyl/Leather
    Side Windows
    Aero Vents
    Front and Rear Sway Bars
    Wilwood Front and Rear Brakes
    GPS Gauges
    Wood Steering Wheel – I plan on having matching wood knobs (A/C, Wipers) a la @P100DHG
    Halibrand 18" wheels
    Windshield wipers (Battery Cut off Switch
    Hydrolic Clutch Master Cylinder Kit
    351W Install Kit
    351W Headers
    FF Stainless Side Exhaust
    Power Steering
    A/C

Engine / Transmission:
    Like @P100DHG, my initial thought was to bite the bullet and go with the 5.2 but an Aluminator (not Voodoo). I also looked at the Gen 3 (and now 4) Coyote, too. While I truly do understand the augments for going this path, I just could not get over the old school power, sounds, and smells that come from a push rod engine. After reading through @P100DHG’s build, and listening to his YouTubes, I eventually settled on a:

427 Stroker – 575 HP from Proformance Unlimited with Sniper 2 and a TKX

Add-Ons:
    Wilwood Electronic E-brake
    Digital Guard Dog Keyless Ignition
    New Vintage Toggle Switch Panel
    Lizard Skin Heat and Sound
    Russ Thompson Turn Signal
    LED lighting upgrades throughout – including adding reverse lights
    BRE mirror kit
    BOIG Cool Tubes
    Rear view mirror backup camera kit – still looking for the one I want to order.

Seats:
    Currently looking at Braum ORUE Series -
    Anyone have experience with these? They have similar size measurements as the Corbeau Evolution X; however, the head rest is smaller, and I think it will let the seat go back further based upon pictures I have seen on this forum.
    Last edited by wedel456; 05-12-2024 at 06:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where in NC are you at, I am a bit north of Charlotte.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in Marvin. We should connect. PM me if you are interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard, wedel! You spec'd-out a build with some great options. Thanks for the link to the seats you're considering. I deleted the F5 seats from my order, and haven't yet decided what to buy.

I think your 427 stroker should give enough ooomph to put a smile on your face. What are you doing for transmission?
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Chris. Getting hard to wait for the kit to arrive. Been following your garage build and prep tread, too. Look forward to seeing your progress.

My father has a red-eye charger and other high HP toys. This build should be a fun one, too.

As for your question: going with the TKX.
    Last edited by wedel456; 05-12-2024 at 06:29 AM.