Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Radiator reservoir vs Engine install

Post Thanks / Like

Radiator reservoir vs Engine install

Thoughts on mounting the radiator overflow tank before engine install? I’m thinking to do it after. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    I suppose it depends on how big your reservoir is and where you plan on mounting it as well as what engine you’re putting in. More details might be helpful. I personally would tackle the engine first and then figure out where you can put the reservoir.

3. Thanks MaxVmo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    I personally would tackle the engine first and then figure out where you can put the reservoir.
    I second that
    Kit delivery (3/17/2024)
    FFR Mark IV Roadster (Ordered 11/9/2023)
    408 LS Stroker Powerplant Ready To Rock (link below of the first start)

https://youtube.com/shorts/dH36tij3HK0?feature=share

5. Thanks MaxVmo thanked for this post
    Likes MaxVmo liked this post
    FFR MKIII builder/owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you’re thinking it might be easier to mount with a wide open engine bay you could always drill mounting holes before then do the actual mounting after engine install. As said I guess it depends on where it’s going and the size.

7. Thanks MaxVmo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You did not say what engine you have but if its a Coyote & you are using a self purging tank you need to drop the motor in first. Peronally regardless of what tank I am using, engine first.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

9. Thanks MaxVmo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, details would be smart. I’m running a BPE 347, and the Factory Five reservoir. Good idea setting up the mount and then installing it afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like
    You’ll have plenty of room with a SBF but smart to wait until after engine’s in

12. Thanks MaxVmo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVmo View Post
    Thoughts on mounting the radiator overflow tank before engine install? I’m thinking to do it after. Thoughts?
    So I was faced with this same decision during my build and, to more-or-less support most of the comments here, I am glad I installed the engine (and engine accessories) before taking on the overflow tank. I ended up having to move where I wanted to mount mine because an electrical item and the power steering plumbing ended up running where I didn't expect it. Just made the overflow tank install a lot easier.

-Brew
    BUILD THREAD: The Brew City Cobra

Current Build: MK4 Complete Kit, Delivered December 2021; First Start November 9, 2022; Go-Cart November 23, 2022; Carbureted 427W, TKX, IRS

14. Thanks MaxVmo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. Along the install lines, I’m considering where to put the hazard and hi-beam switches. Anyone mount them under the panel like on the support brackets?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. Along the install lines, I’m considering where to put the hazard and hi-beam switches. Anyone mount them under the panel like on the support brackets?
    I can't speak to the high-beam switch (mine is on the front of the dash as indicated in my build thread - https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post509163) That said, you can also go with an old school "foot switch" if you want to completely do-away with a dash mounted high/low beam switch.

But as to the hazard switch, I did put it under the dash to keep things clean like you propose. As an extra step, I also swapped out the toggle-style switch provided by FFR for a more modern low-profile switch so it wouldn't be as easily visible in that new location. Nice and easy and keeps extra clutter off the main dash.

Picture of the underdash below:

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post494848
    BUILD THREAD: The Brew City Cobra

Current Build: MK4 Complete Kit, Delivered December 2021; First Start November 9, 2022; Go-Cart November 23, 2022; Carbureted 427W, TKX, IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    I put an extra switch to the left of my horn button for my high beams and my hazard under the dash on a support bracket.
    I'm using the signal dynamics module for my turn signals that auto cancels and have a momentary button wired up for my hazard lights.