Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FFR Supplied Header -> Exhaust Gasket Source?

Post Thanks / Like

FFR Supplied Header -> Exhaust Gasket Source?

A couple of months ago (before I had the body on) I connected and mounted my FFR pipes to my headers so I could do some gokart testing. When I took them off to start to do my body work they ended up getting stuck to the metal in various places, and basically disintegrated in the removal process. So at some point I'll need to order a new set, no biggie.

But now that I have the body on, I'd like to do some more road testing, so I'll likely require another set for that, then another set after everything gets removed and reassembled after paint.

Question 1: does anyone know a good source for the square(ish) header to pipe gasket? Is this a pretty custom gasket, or can you find it in a few places? I seem to remember maybe Breeze having it, but felt a little pricey to me.

Question 2: any advice for being able to re-use those gaskets? Are they meant to be single-use only? They seem to stick to the metal when they get tightened down. Maybe a light coat of high-temp copper anti-seize between mating surfaces?

Question 3: do most people end up cutting out the center of the gasket to open them up? I can't imagine any reason you'd want to restrict flow with the center intact, but just thought I'd check to make sure.
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 03-05-2020 at 02:01 PM.
    Cheers,

--jim

Build 1: Gen III Type 65 Coupe, Gen II Coyote

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to jump the gun— I just found this thread that has a lot of great answers: https://www.ffcars.com/threads/exhaust-gaskets.452690/.

But the thread is a bit old, so maybe there is some newer info? Question #3 still stands too.
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 03-05-2020 at 02:01 PM.
    Cheers,

--jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a few sets of them left over, never use them. I use Ultra Copper, easy and it works.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've used the copper RTV but my experience is hit and miss. The best gaskets I've used are made by Flatout and are soft copper with a coating hat really seals tight and doesn't tend to continuously. These are way better than plain soft copper and light-years ahead of composite gaskets. Re-tighten after a coupe of heat cycles and the fasteners will tend to stay tight with copper. Try Summit Racing if your favorite source doesn't carry them.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all. Maybe I'll start with the Ultra Copper while I'm monkeying around, then finalize it with a set from Flatout.
    Cheers,

--jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Sadly, I've had my engine in/out about ten times. I've used Ultra Copper - tightened the bolts 75%, cleaned off the ooze, let dry overnight, then torque fully.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't overthink it. As long as you have two flat surfaces, which I've found to be the case, many including me don't use the gaskets. For temporary mounting, e.g. mock-ups, first starts, go-kart runs, etc. just bolt them on metal-to-metal and you'll be fine. I'm talking up and down the street a few times go-kart runs. Not extensive miles driven. Which IMO isn't typically a good idea anyway for multiple reasons. When you're ready to leave them on permanently, use the Ultra Copper. That's what I've done with multiple builds over a number of seasons and thousands of miles. Zero issues.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    100% agree with edwardb.

Jeff