FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: MK1 Builder has Brake Questions for a New Build

Post Thanks / Like

MK1 Builder has Brake Questions for a New Build

A little background on me and my Factory Five experience:

I purchased a MK1 kit in 2000, had it on the road in 2003, and sold it in 2019 after putting more than 46K miles on it. As you know, these cars are often a work in progress. When I first built my car, I utilized 1995 Mustang Cobra brakes and a Flaming River manual steering rack. After driving it for a couple of years I added power steering and Hydroboost brakes. Probably two of my favorite mods. (I also ended up installing an undercar exhaust system and "Daytona Bill" rear fender flares so I could have me some nice, deep dish wheels.)

Anyway, after several years away from the Cobra world, I've ordered a new MK4 complete kit as a retirement project. I've got a pretty firm plan for my build except for one area: brakes. The Wilwood pedal box is a new animal for me, as my old car used a Fox Mustang pedal box.

Because I'm going for a retro look, I ordered the Factory Five 15" Halibrand wheels. That choice forced me to opt for the Mustang-based 11" front brakes and 11.65" rear brakes. (I also opted for IRS.)

After all that background, here's my questions:

1. With my setup (11" front, 11.65" rear brakes), will adding power brakes using a donor pedal box with either vacuum or Hydroboost assist be a worthwhile exercise? I ask because I've never driven a Cobra with the Wilwood pedal box.

2. If I choose to go power assist, is one method (vacuum vs. Hydroboost) deemed better than the other?

3. From researching the forum, it appears that some of the later, SN95 Mustang pedal boxes will work in addition to the Fox boxes. True, and if so, which years will work?

That's all my questions for now.

Thanks, and here's a gratuitous pic of my old car.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mk 1, with a Blueprint 347, Sniper EFI, 3-Link with VPM Rear Sway Bar, Power Steering with Hydroboost Brakes, Under Car Exhaust, Rear Fender Flares
    (Drove over 46,000 miles then sold in September 2019)
    Ordered a MK4 in May 2024 as a Retirement Project

Post Thanks / Like
    Love those rear wheels and tires

Post Thanks / Like
    The standard brakes are very good. For a fun street car with good sticky tires, you'll probably find they are all you need. You can make them even better with a performance oriented pad.

OTOH, if you find that they're not enough, contact Gordon Levy, www.levyracing.com . He has complete Wilwood brake kits to fit a 15" wheel.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    POWER BRAKES. I will say it again. Power brakes any pedal box from 87-96 will work. The sn95 requires a minor mod or 2. Just a couple holes. I actually prefer the SN95 boxes. Then buy a 87-93 booster, 1995 mustang Cobra master and the booster spacer from www.replicaparts.com
    Thats it for parts. Do the minor frame mod and your all set. All modern cars have power brakes. Your cobra should be no different.
    PM me for my number if you want to discuss further.
    Mike

5. Likes bill1982 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    POWER BRAKES. I will say it again. Power brakes any pedal box from 87-96 will work. The sn95 requires a minor mod or 2. Just a couple holes. I actually prefer the SN95 boxes. Then buy a 87-93 booster, 1995 mustang Cobra master and the booster spacer from www.replicaparts.com
    Thats it for parts. Do the minor frame mod and your all set. All modern cars have power brakes. Your cobra should be no different.
    PM me for my number if you want to discuss further.
    Mike
    Mike, not sure if you know but your web site is down at the moment.
    MK4 #11012 picked up 04/16/24
    351W, 3 link, single roll bar
    MK4 #10616 picked up 4/10/23
    302w, 4 link, 17's, dual roll bar SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars SOLD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgybulin View Post
    Mike, not sure if you know but your web site is down at the moment.
    I noticed it last week. I said the same 24-48 hour message so I didn't say anything, sorry Mike!
    Delivery October 2023, #10847, Gen 3, IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    The non power Wilwood brakes work well, it just depends on how you want the car to drive. I have both systems. My Mkll has Fox Mustang brakes with power, all donor stuff and it drives like a normal street car. My Gen 3 coupe has the Wilwood non-power brakes and ( 13 inch for larger wheels) the pedal effort is higher but not excessive, you use your foot on the pedal not your toe. The big difference with the non-power Wilwood brakes is the pedal is hard with none of the softness that a normal car has. How the car stops is based on how hard you press on the pedal not how far you push it.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with post # 4 , I did it and I am very happy with the results , Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. And Mike, I emailed you on May 9th and attempted to access your website (as mentioned above, it's currently down), because I'm interested in purchasing your booster spacer. I'll try PMing you.
    Mk 1, with a Blueprint 347, Sniper EFI, 3-Link with VPM Rear Sway Bar, Power Steering with Hydroboost Brakes, Under Car Exhaust, Rear Fender Flares
    (Drove over 46,000 miles then sold in September 2019)
    Ordered a MK4 in May 2024 as a Retirement Project