Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  60
Likes Likes:  208

Thread: Camera's 818C

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up buying stainless rivnuts and hardware on Amazon. I like the idea of stronger steel threads for something that may be used several times. I also found some nice black oxide bolts to keep my firewall all black which I think will look good. I'm also going to try some 1mm nylon washers to keep the bolts from digging into my painted panels. Hopefully they keep tension and don't relax over time. If they do I'll just remove them.

I'm having a hell of a time getting the ball joint stud out of the lower control arms. I soaked them both in penetrating oil overnight and still couldn't knock them off with a dead blow hammer. I was able to get 1 off with a gear puller which made a loud cracking sound when it came loose. I thought I broke the gear puller in half! The 2nd LCA isn't budging. The gear puller isn't grabbing well enough and it already slightly tore the steel in 1 area. I'm going to soak it in penetrating oil while I'm out of town until Sunday. Any other tips or tricks?

IMG_6070.JPG IMG_6066.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha...my tip costs money. Buy new parts! I gave up with our LCA’s and spindle knuckles.
    818 "S"pyder delivered 11/27/20, using 2007 Impreza 2.5l NA donor. Work mostly being done by my son Liam...body work and paint being done by dad (that's me)
    MK3.1 #6583RD, built from 2008-2019, sold 11/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcamera View Post

I'm having a hell of a time getting the ball joint stud out of the lower control arms. I soaked them both in penetrating oil overnight and still couldn't knock them off with a dead blow hammer. I was able to get 1 off with a gear puller which made a loud cracking sound when it came loose. I thought I broke the gear puller in half! The 2nd LCA isn't budging. The gear puller isn't grabbing well enough and it already slightly tore the steel in 1 area. I'm going to soak it in penetrating oil while I'm out of town until Sunday. Any other tips or tricks?
    Maybe this is basic and you know it already, but you aren't hitting the nut are you? I find that putting pressure on it with a clamp or jack (in the direction of trying to push it apart), then hitting the side of the taper always pops them lose. Put the pressure on it with your gear puller if you can while leaving the side of the taper housing clear to wack it with a hammer. It will come apart.

Rick