Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  30
Likes Likes:  137

Thread: Brandon's 818R Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    I now own Chad’s car. Let me know if you need me to measure something.
    Yes I did know that sorry I should have directed the question to you. Do you know what bushing or combination of bushings you have for your lower radiator mounts?

Quote Originally Posted by jforand View Post
    I used 3 flat washers. I actually just threw a little JB Weld on them on the last assembly so they behave as a single unit and I don’t have to restack them. This was just enough to get the lower radiator hose off the steering rack bellows. I will further note that if you have a stock radiator at least from an 04 STI vintage you will likely have an issue with the hood hitting the radiator cap, especially if you go higher than I just suggested. The hood was touching my cap. I inadvertently destroyed my radiator attempting to slim it down when I was ducting it in. The result was finding the Megan Racing all aluminum direct drop in. It was surprisingly cheap and the radiator cap was significantly lower and clears the hood by 3/4” of an inch. Still using the 3 washers to clear the steering rack. I guess I should also note that I mounted the radiator as FFR suggested, but the OEM brackets did not quite work anymore so I fabbed some new aluminum ones.
    Interesting. Do you have any rubber isolation on the bottom with the washer stack? How much did you raise yours. I have a CSF radiator and am looking to raise it 1”. I have been looking on McMaster at rubber threaded-stud mounts to make my own bushings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blomb11 View Post
    Interesting. Do you have any rubber isolation on the bottom with the washer stack? How much did you raise yours. I have a CSF radiator and am looking to raise it 1”. I have been looking on McMaster at rubber threaded-stud mounts to make my own bushings.
    Yes, I pretty much went the direction FFR recommended here so I have the OEM rubber bushings popped into the FFR provided mounts. One pic is looking down into the radiator compartment and the send in looking into the radiator compartment through the front grill opening. Those are the two hood vent up top. Both pics are obviously missing the actual radiator. The radiator has aluminum posts that stick down into the rubber grommets. They were plenty long enough to deal with the ~1/4" of stacked washers.

IMG_7396.jpg IMG_7399.jpg

This is the situation at the top. I again tried to do the FFR method and had originally used the OEM brackets and had a rivnut in the front side of the bar. In the present world the radiator was a bit taller and the OEM brackets were quite working. I first made the one in my hand that used the same rivenut to mount. They were horribly inadequate and too flexible. The final iteration is the one on the car in the second pic (and background of the first). Very solid and utilizes two new rivnuts on the top of the bar. They both reutilized the OEM rubber bushing for the post mount. Conveniently, I now use the previous rivnut to hold a screen to protect the radiator.

IMG_7445.jpg IMG_7444.jpg
    Last edited by jforand; 04-23-2022 at 10:11 AM.