Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  40
Likes Likes:  52

Thread: Eaton's 818C Build - Power Window Modifications

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

wheels and tires

I have the FFR upgrade wheels and am wondering if anybody used something different for tire size than the FFR recommended, 215/40/17 Front and
    255/35/18 Rear . I have a feeling that front tire is going to rub. The OEM wheels and tires were rubbing while we were go-karting...

MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark,
    We are using these wheels and the recommended tires, and they do not rub. They have the proper offset versus the OEM wheels, so as long as you have tucked away the coolant hoses, and followed the "rough alignment specs" for the UCA's it should be fine. Now...we are having rubbing problems with the left rear tire after final assembly...and paint. Still working on that one.
    818 "S"pyder delivered 11/27/20, using 2007 Impreza 2.5l NA donor. Work mostly being done by my son Liam...body work and paint being done by dad (that's me)
    MK3.1 #6583RD, built from 2008-2019, sold 11/2011

3. Thanks Mark Eaton thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eaton View Post
    I have the FFR upgrade wheels and am wondering if anybody used something different for tire size than the FFR recommended, 215/40/17 Front and
    255/35/18 Rear . I have a feeling that front tire is going to rub. The OEM wheels and tires were rubbing while we were go-karting...
    The fronts are particularly difficult as you need a relatively short tire < 24" tall. The rears are much more forgiving. I have used 215/40/17's and 225/40/17 Hoosier's on the front with no rubbing. On the rear I have used all the way up to 275/35/18's, although those are very tight!

No matter what tires you run you will need to use steering restrictors to limit the total lock to lock travel as the tire will rub on the inside splash shield at the limits of travel if not.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

5. Thanks Mark Eaton thanked for this post